
Today I began my journey to reach the summit of Mt. Hood, the tallest peak in Oregon (11,239 feet). I joined the Reach the Summit team this week, an annual fundraising effort to raise money and awareness about the American Lung Association's mission of preventing and curing lung disease. I went on a training hike in the Columbia River Gorge today (see all the pretty pictures!). There are training hikes and clinics for the next several weeks in preparation for summit day - sometime during the week of June 18, 2008.
Make no mistake about it, summiting Mt. Hood takes a back seat to contributing

to the ALA's mission. I could call a few friends, rent some basic equipment and launch up the mountain on our own...However, my journey is not about some physical feat, it is dedicated to the memory of my mom, who passed away from lung cancer on 12/21/07 and to all the other lives who have been impacted by lung disease. I have committed to raise $5,000 for the ALA by June 1, 2008 ...You will see additional communications about how you can help in the near future, so stay tuned...

Today's hike was a 5.5 mile loop from Multnomah Falls to Wahkeena Falls climbing 1,600 feet in elevation...a good heart thumper to get the blood flowing early in the morning :) There were like 40+ people who got up with the roosters on Saturday morning to join the hike...all of them believe in the ALA's mission and it was an inspiring site to see.
No comments:
Post a Comment